What is "public domain?"
Works that fall into public domain can be used without obtaining permission because they are no longer protected by intellectual property laws (copyright, trademark, or patent laws).
• Creative Commons supports open access and their Mission Statement reads as follows:
Creative Commons develops, supports, and stewards legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation.
• You can use the CC search tool to help you identify materials licensed under Creative Commons and those in the public domain:
• Public Domain Information Project includes information about music copyright and public domain and has lists of public domain sheet music: PD Info
• "Is this material still under copyright?" Check here: Digital Copyright Slider
• From Europeana: Public Domain Calculator