Skip to main content

Copyright & Music: How to Register a Work for Copyright

Register Your Work through the U.S. Copyright Office

You can register a work through the U.S. Copyright Office electronically or by paper.

 Registering a Copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office

Make Sure Your Application Will Be Acceptable

Copyright Registration for Musical Compositions 

• Copyright Registration for Sound Recordings

Paper Forms


                *****REGISTER YOUR WORK*****

Fees, Transfers, etc.

The following circulars and factsheets from the U.S. Copyright Office can answer many of your questions about copyright:

What is the cost of registering?

      Current Fees

Can a copyright be transfered?

      Recordation and Transfers

Can a copyright be renewed?

      Renewal of Copyright

What is the duration of copyright?

      Duration of Copyright

Subject Guide

Paula Hickner's picture
Paula Hickner
Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library
160 Patterson Dr.
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506