1. Search the Library Catalog, not the search tab, on the libraries' main page. Search for the word Ethnology and the country or world region:
Ethnology -- Japan (Pay close attention to the spacing here. It's ethnology, 1 space, 2 dashes, 1 space, Japan)
2. After you search, use the facets on the left to narrow your results down to "Books" and to "Available in the Library."
3. Click on a book's title to see the “Details.” You may be able to see the Table of Contents.
Check whether the publisher is from a university press. You do need an academic title, one from a university press.
4. Write down the call number and location in the library so you can go find the book. Most of these books will have a call number beginning with GN, which is the Library of Congress Classification for Anthropology. The GN call numbers are on the 4th floor in the South Wing.
5. To check out the book, take it to the circulation desk on the 1st floor along with your UK ID.
“social life and customs”
“manners and customs”
kinship or family
GN301-674 Ethnology. Social and cultural anthropology
GN357-367 Culture and cultural processes
Including social change, structuralism, diffusion, etc.
GN378-396 Collected ethnographies
GN397-397.7 Applied anthropology
GN406-517 Cultural traits, customs, and institutions
GN406-442 Technology. Material culture
Including food, shelter, fire, tools, etc.
GN448-450.8 Economic organization. Economic anthropology
GN451-477.7 Intellectual life
Including communication, recreation, philosophy,
religion, knowledge, etc.
GN478-491.7 Social organization
GN492-495.2 Political organization. Political anthropology
GN495.4-498 Societal groups, ethnocentrism, diplomacy, warfare, etc.
GN502-517 Psychological anthropology
GN537-674 Ethnic groups and races
GN550-674 By region or country