Stories About The College of Engineering
A selection of stories in print.
February 22, 1865, with the last shot of the Civil War yet to be fired, the Kentucky legislature accepted the provisions of the Morrill Land-Grant College Act, thus giving birth to what is now the University of Kentucky. Deemed the “Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky,” the institution officially opened its doors in October 1866. The mechanical department offered courses in civil engineering and mining at Henry Clay’s former mansion and farm, “Ashland,” and in 1868, “A&M College,” as it was called, constructed its first building—the “Ashland Mechanical Works.” Tuition was $30 per year, accompanied by a $5 janitor’s fee. See the rest of the story here.
|An engineering library has been on UK’s campus since the late 19th century when engineering faculty first began collecting materials. Each department purchased its own materials and maintained its own collection. See the rest of the story here.|