Tips for some of your courses
NoveList. This database helps you to find fiction for readers of all ages. The records are very rich, giving you lots of information and options for searching.
Limit or filter your results
- teen audience
- award winners
- many facets available on the left side of the screen: genre, pace, tone, etc.
Sort your results
- See Read-alikes
- Find/browse awards lists (includes the Kentucky Bluegrass Award: grades 6-8)
- Find/browse feature articles, BookTalks, guides, etc.
- Be sure to use the Curricular Connection articles and other goodies in the "Teaching with Books" section; connect from the link on the NoveList home page.
How do you get the books from the library? Click the link "Check the UK Libraries holdings."
WorldCat. This database combines InfoKat with other library catalogs. You can easily learn our local holdings and what's held at libraries around the world. Use Inter-library Loans (ILLiad) to get loans of books that we don't have. See box at left.
Limit or filter your results
- juvenile audience
- DVD or other format
- subjects (this works for non-fiction)
Find in a library
- find a copy in our library or other libraries on campus
- or find a copy in other libraries worldwide (if we don't have the book click "Request Item through Interlibrary Loan" to get a loan)
- you can also borrow from the Lexington Public Library: here's how to get your LPL card (be sure to take your student I.D. and, if possible, a document that proves your Lexington address)
Browse our stacks: This is a great way to find books: a good old-fashioned method!
- for the Children's collection we have a New Books section
- and an awards section
- the fiction is shelved by author: two categories: JE (picture books) and JF (chapter books)
- the non-fiction is in two categories: biography (shelved by the person) and non-fiction (shelved by Dewey number)
Find book reviews: This technique helps you assess the value of the book. Many records in NoveList come with book reviews. To find other reviews search the Academic Search Premier database. Searching Academic Search Premier for book reviews is also a good way to find non-fiction books. enter your search terms and also paste this string into one of your search boxes: "booklist" or "book links" or "school library journal" or "horn book"
Kentucky Textbook Examination Collection: We have copies of all textbooks approved for use in Kentucky schools.
- The textbooks are shelved by these numbers.
- Then they are shelved by publisher, then by grade, etc.
- This is the Kentucky schedule for textbook adoption
- Group I: Language Arts (expired)
- Group II: Social Studies (expires in 2013)
- Group III: Science (expires in 2014)
- Group IV: Math (expires in 2015)
- Group V: Practical Living and Vocational Studies (expires in 2016)
- Group VI: Arts & Humanities, ESL, World Languages (expired)