Memorial Hall was built at Limestone St. and Graham Ave. at the southern boundary of the original 52-acre park and fair grounds donated to the University by the City of Lexington in 1878 (detail from 1855 map, below). Details from city maps 1903-1929 and campus maps, 1922 and 1934, are below.
In 1919, when the campaign to fund the Memorial building began, there were 13 main buildings on campus (not including smaller, working structures): 1 library, 1 gymnasium, 2 dormitories (one men's, one women's), 5 academic/research buildings, and 4 mixed administrative and academic buildings. Student population for the 1919-1920 school year was 768 men and 300 women.
Ten years later, in 1929, when Memorial Hall was completed, there were 8 new main buildings on campus, making a total of 21: 1 auditorium/memorial, 1 library, 3 gymnasiums/football fields, 5 dormitories (three men's, two women's), 7 academic/research buildings, and 4 mixed administrative and academic buildings. Student population for the 1929-1930 school year was 2492 men and 1759 women, an increase of 324% and 586% respectively from the 1919-1920 school year.
Sources:
Gillis, Ezra. "Enrollment by College and Sex, 1918-1955." A Series of Charts Depicting the More Important Data from 1862-1955. http://libraries.uky.edu/libpage.php?lweb_id=357&llib_id=13#libscroller. Accessed April 14, 2016.
Detail, Jackson, Claude., Haag & Sons, and Hart & Mapother. City of Lexington, Fayette Co., Ky., 1855. Lexington, 1939. (G3954 .L4 1855 .H3 1939)
Detail, Slade, J. T., and Lexington & Central Ky. Title Co. Map of Lexington, Ky. and Vicinity. Lexington, Ky.?]: J. T. Slade, 1912. (G3954 .L4 1912 S61)
University of Kentucky campus map, 1922, "Maps," General Reference file, University of Kentucky Special Collections Research Center.
1882: Administration/Main Building
1882: Mechanical Hall (Dicker Hall, Anderson Hall) (demolished 1964)
1882: White Hall (men's dormitory) (demolished 1967)
1898: Gillis Building (Administration Annex/Registrar, Experiment Station office)
1898: Miller Hall (Natural Science)
1902: Barker Hall/Buell Armory (women's gym)
1904: Patterson Hall (women's dormitory)
1907: Frazee Hall (University High School)
1907: Scovell Hall
1908: Matthews Building (Agriculture)
1909: Carnegie Library/museum (demolished 1967)
1909: Pence Hall (Civil Engineering, Physics)
1910: Kastle Hall (Chemistry)
Detail, Eyl, W. C. Map of Lexington and Environs. Lexington, Ky.: W.C. Eyl, 1929. (G3954 .L4 1929 .E9)
University of Kentucky campus map, 1929/1934, "Maps," General Reference file, University of Kentucky Special Collections Research Center.
Detail, Eyl, W. C. Map of Lexington and Environs. Lexington: [W.C. Eyl], 1923. (G3954 .L4 1923 E91)
1921: Bradley Hall (men's dormitory)
1924: Stoll field/McLean Stadium (demolished 1974)
1925: Boyd Hall (women's dormitory)
1928: McVey Hall (Recitation)
1929: Breckinridge Hall (men's dormitory)
1929: Kinkead Hall (men's dormitory)
1929: Memorial Hall
1929: Taylor Education Building (University High School, Teacher Training School)