The Gwen Curtis Map Collection is currently open Mondays and Thursdays from 8:00 - noon. Prior to visiting the collection, please call or email Sarah Watson to confirm availability: 859-257-8359 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can book an appointment here.
In 2018, the collection was named in honor of Gwen Curtis, who worked with the maps for 45 years. During her tenure, the Map Collection grew to become the largest research map collection in Kentucky.
The Map Collection includes approximately 250,000 paper maps and aerial photos. Below are examples of the types of cartographic materials found in the collection. Additionally, many of the materials are indexed in InfoKat Discovery.
- Aerial photos of Kentucky counties
- Current and historic Kentucky city, county, and state maps
- Sanborn fire insurance maps of Kentucky cities
- Digital images of historic Kentucky maps
- Topographic maps of all 50 states
- U.S. and international geologic maps
- International topographic maps, mostly WWII era
- U.S. and international nautical charts